Osage County, just south of the capitol city of Topeka, operates a recycling center, construction and demolition landfill and a transfer station. Household Hazardous Waste are also collected on designated collection days. These services are funded using both a tax mill levy and tipping fees assessed to users.

Solid Waste

4045 W 229th Street, Osage City, KS 66523
(785) 528-3790


The Transfer Station will accept household trash. The Construction & Demolition Landfill will accept scrap wood and construction materials, brush and scrap metal. Materials need to be sorted.

Vehicles: $36 per ton (minimum charge $10)
Passenger Tires: $2 per tire
Truck Tires: $6 per tire
Agricultural / Industrial Tires: $8 per tire

Recycle Building

208 W. 17th Street, Lyndon, KS 66451
(785) 828-3824
2nd & 4th Sat. 9 AM to 11 AM

The recycling center is staffed by a part-time employee and many volunteers. (Volunteers are always needed and hours worked count for grant credit!). Funding is provided by the Lake Region Authority.

Donated items should be clean and stored in clean containers.

Accepted materials include the following (please separate items):
• Newspapers
• Magazines, catalogs, and phonebooks
• Office paper and junk mail
• Plastics: ONLY #1 PETE and #2 HDPE
• Aluminum & Tin cans and scrap
• Glass: jars or bottles ONLY. NO broken dishes, Pyrex, light bulbs or window glass.
• Cardboard
• Brown paper sacks.