Franklin County has a transfer station, a permanent recycling center and a construction and demolition landfill, all located in Ottawa, Kansas.

Transfer Station / C&D Landfill

3323 Osborne Terrace, Ottawa, KS 66067
(785) 242-4612

Mon-Fri: 8 AM - 4 PM
Sat: 8 AM - 1 PM


Solid Waste

Refuse collection is available to most Franklin County residences and businesses. Residential collections are weekly in cities and rural areas. Commercial and business accounts are collected as-needed. Residents are billed by the disposal company, and not through the cities. Private individuals and businesses are also able to haul solid waste or construction debris to the transfer station with their own vehicles. Franklin County has contracted with Hamm Inc. to haul trash from the transfer station to their landfill in Perry, Kansas.

The solid waste program is funded by user fees, which helps to pay for facility operations and equipment. Visit the county's website for the most up-to-date list of accepted wastes and associated costs.

Recycling / HHW

2017 S Elm, Ottawa, KS 66067
(785) 229-3174

Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 3 PM



A permanent Recycling Center has been established in Ottawa for collection, sorting, processing, storage and shipping of recycled materials. County resident may drop off items for recycling during business hours.

Franklin County also owns collection trucks that are used to collect and transport recyclable materials from more than 160 businesses. Businesses are required to contact the Recycle Center if they wish to utilize this service. The city of Wellsville offers curbside recycling and the county also provides free recycling pickup service to senior citizens on the third Thursday of each month. Visit the county's website for the most up-to-date list of accepted materials and pick up locations.

Accepted materials include:
• Glass
• Aluminum and tin cans
• Paper: newspaper, magazines, cardboard, office paper
• Cardboard and Paperboard
• Plastics: ONLY #1 PETE, #2 HDPE, #4 LDPE, #5 PP, #7 Other

Materials NOT accepted:
• Plastic bags
• Styrofoam peanuts
• Butter tubs
• Meat trays
• Styrofoam
• PVC Plastics
• Glass from non-consumables
• Wax coated milk cartons
• Plastic lined feed sacks
• Metals (other than tin cans or Aluminum)
• Electronic waste (computers, TVs, printers, DVD players, phones, etc.)


Household Hazardous Waste

The county has a Household Hazardous Waste program and accepts approved wastes from individuals during regular business hours (through the Noxious Weed Department). Wastes are typically considered to be Hazardous if they have labels with the words “Warning, Caution, Poison, &/or Danger”, as they usually mean that the product had ingredients that may have one or more of the following characteristics: Corrosive, Toxic, Flammable or Explosive.

Acceptable materials include:
• Oil-based Paint / Stains / Wood Preservatives
• Household Chemicals & Cleaners
• Pool Chemicals
• All Rechargeable Batteries (ie. Lithium, NiCd)
• Farm Chemicals
• Florescent Light Bulbs
• Used Oil / Antifreeze / Transmission Fluid

Materials NOT accepted include:
• Latex Paint
• Explosives
• Ammunition
• Asbestos
• Infectious or Radioactive Materials
• Compressed Gas Cylinders

Materials from Franklin County households ONLY. Business or commercial materials are NOT accepted.