Anderson County operates a transfer station, construction and demolition landfill and a permanent recycling center. Household Hazardous wastes are also collected during regular business hours. Tipping fees and taxes finance the county's solid waste operations.


Transfer Station / C&D Landfill / Recycling / HHW

25404 NE Nebraska Road, Garnett KS 66032
(785) 448-3109

Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 3:30 PM
Sat: 8 AM - Noon


Solid Waste

Solid waste is hauled to the waste station by generators using their own vehicles or by municipality or private haulers. The City of Garnett is the only municipality in the county with a city-owned collection service with its own employees and trucks. Elsewhere in the county, residents and business owners use private contractors. Private haulers transport solid waste from rural county residents to the Allen County Landfill or the Franklin County transfer station. Most areas of the county and the smaller cities have weekly collection.

All metal is accepted for FREE. Other accepted wastes include municipal solid waste, construction and demolition debris, brush, and tires. There is a fee for using the transfer station, which helps to pay for facility operations and equipment. Visit the county's website for the most up-to-date list of accepted waste and associated costs.



A permanent Recycling Center is available at the waste station. Recycled items are accepted FREE of charge. Items must be clean, but labels do not need to be removed.

Accepted materials include:
• Paper: newspaper, magazines, cardboard, office paper, junk mail
• Plastics: #1 Pete Plastics & Milk Jugs ONLY. (#2-7 plastics are NOT accepted)
• Tin & Aluminum cans
• Glass
• Automotive Batteries
• Used Oil

The county also maintains a mobile recycling collection trailer that is routed between six communities within the county on a monthly basis. Recyclables for the trailer should be clean, separated, and unbagged, with lids removed. County residents are invited to place their recyclable materials in the trailer while it is located in the community closest to them. Visit the county website for the most up-to-date list of accepted materials and trailer locations.


Household Hazardous Waste

The county has a Household Hazardous Waste program and accepts approved wastes from individuals during regular business hours. Wastes are typically considered to be Hazardous if they have labels with the words “Warning, Caution, Poison, &/or Danger”, as they usually mean that the product had ingredients that may have one or more of the following characteristics: Corrosive, Toxic, Flammable or Explosive.

Acceptable materials include:
• Paint and paint thinners
• Pesticides
• Bleach
• Batteries
• Cleaners

Reusable products in their original packaging are also available for pick up free of charge.

Materials from Anderson County households ONLY. Business or commercial materials are NOT accepted.